Friday, February 23, 2007

VISITOR

"I'll wear my badge...
a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest
That tells your new friends I am a visitor here...
I am not permanent"

i was listening to this postal service song the other day. it always makes me think of how we as christians are only visitors or strangers in this world.
i was also over at my highshool the other day. i really had an awesome time in junior and senior high. lots of crap that i had to go through...along with every other teenager....but the people there were awesome. lots of good times. so anyways, my friend shelley and i went back to visit some of our teachers. we had to sign in and get these "visitor" badges. as we were leaving, shelley nearly forgot to give hers back and i said something about us only being visitors and how someone should write a sermon about that.
so, here is my sermon. just kidding. mostly just my thoughts on this world. in a paragraph. lol.
its funny how much work and effort we put into the things of this world. i know that there is a certain amount of stuff that we have to do to survive, but, and i know this from personal experience, i could be working on better stuff most of the time. why do i automatically store up for myself treasures on earth?
i constantly need reminding that this world is temporary. it won't last. what i do for God and heaven is what really matters. easily said, not so easily done.
also, as strangers, i think that we are supposed to act differently. not in the annoying touristy way. with cameras and souviners and such. but in a way that makes people realize that we have something better, a hope of somewhere better.
i know this is randomly written, but it's kinda good to think about. i think especially in our teenage years, we spend so much time trying to fit in. or, as i've heard, trying so hard to be unique, just like everyone else. we forget about eternity and sacrifice it for temporary satisfaction.
maybe we need to help each other remember why we are on this earth, and that we won't be here forever. don't get too comfortable.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww yay..i'm mentioned in your blog. :)

2:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Donna,
so here is the tension I always find... I agree we are visitors and this isn't all there is for us. But do you think that sometimes this thinking leads us to not care about our world like we should? I always see Jesus as a guy who cared deeply about the pain and hurts of this life. He said love God and love people, do you think we should even bother thinking about heaven? I don't know. I always think about "fundamental Christians," Southern baptists, all of that, as an example of going to far... saying, screw this world, I am just waiting for heaven. I don't know what the balance is... But I think Jesus cared deeply about this world, people's pain on earth... he didn't seem to try and solve that pain by pointing to heaven like we sometimes do... he healed them, which I think is appropriate for you since you are becoming a nurse. Please feel free to push back, I want and need it. I learn more when people show me that I am wrong.

4:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home